Friday, March 9, 2012

Holladay here we come…


Upon returning to Logan we had a lot to get done before Mike’s job started. Packing up all of our goods, selling the car, selling our apartment contract, and finding a new place to live were our next priorities. As before mentioned, Alex and his wife let us know they wanted to purchase our contract last Friday. On Sunday, our car buyer returned to Logan and took away Lil’ Red. We were able to sell it for Just under $900 dollars and it didn’t even have a working engine. Thank you sports car! With two big items out of the way, we could now focus on the actual move. We spent the next week searching for apartments and clearing out our old apartment. We had found several different apartments within our price range that we decided we should check out. With our places on paper, we drove to all the different apartments. It was pretty easy to tell why several of them were in our price range. The areas were run down and a little sketchy. But we pressed on. Mike had shown me one picture on KSL of an apartment that looked really nice with a brick wall. It was our last stop of the day. It was a cute little French Condo and I loved it. It wasn’t the cheapest place on our list but it was nice, in a good location, with a nice courtyard, and was a good value. A week later, on July 30th, we would be calling it home. As an extra benefit, brand new carpet was put in earlier that day. We did it. We had gotten everything taken care of and moved within a week and a half of a job offer. Someone up above had our backs.

Monday, the first of August, was Mike’s first day at work. Lauren was also going to go through the temple for the first time and invited me to go with her. I got up with plenty of time and was so proud of myself because I was going to be early. Marty and Debbie were even kind enough to let me borrow the Taurus so I could attend. However, on my way out I realized with everything going on I had completely spaced getting my temple recommend out of Mike’s wallet. I was devastated. I called Mike and he was already at work. I rushed up to Park City and tried getting in touch with my old bishop so he could verify for me. No such luck. I made it to Park City and arrived at the Salt Lake Temple at 9:15. I was 15 minutes to late. They let me know I could get in my temple clothes and meet her at the end. I did just that. I apologized over and over again but she reassured me she was in shock anyways so it wasn't a big deal. Afterwards, we went to lunch and took some pictures. It was a lot of fun to be there with her.


After going to the temple, I returned the Taurus to the Hill family and waited for Mike to pick me up after work. I had brought the Taurus back safely, but it wouldn’t stay safe for long. Joe left for work just before 4:00. A few minutes later, Debbie received a phone call from Joe. He had crashed the Taurus. We would later find out it was totaled. Luckily, nobody was hurt. Jon was pretty ticked because he was going to buy the car. It was the most mad I have ever seen him, he didn’t say much he was just the quiet scary kind. Though, I can’t say I blame him. I probably would have been even worse in his situation.

Salt Lake was already off to an exciting start. Mike’s job was pushing him and stretching him past his comfort zone. He had a big learning curve ahead of him, but he was catching on rather quickly. He is a brilliant guy. Work was keeping him pretty busy. Conversely, I had a lot of time on my hands. I was able to unload the apartment and get settled in just a couple of days. My next big item was to follow in Mike's footsteps and get a job.


I couldn't simply put in applications all day, so I had to find a few other things to keep me busy and feeling productive. I helped coach at the high school girls’ tennis camp, went to the temple, and got some projects done. I went to Mama Deb’s house and she helped me sew my first bed skirt. I also put together two books from Mike’s mission, one was “Letters from Home” and the other was “Letters from Russia”. It was a fun project and Mike really seemed to like it. We also helped with Jon and Alair’s engagement. We set up a candlelight Cafe Rio dinner on our group patio overlooking the courtyard. It was fun to be a part of it. The music was timed perfectly, it looked real good, and we only had a few slight mishaps. Like playing with the lights in our apartment too much or forgetting to give them their salad dressing sliding it over to them through our window. But they were on cloud nine and didn't seem to mind. So, as you can see, my downtime wasn't completely useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment