Saturday, June 22, 2013

Crash and Burn!

At this point, I had been working at Steven's Henager College Online Division for a few months.  Let's just say it wasn't my cup of tea.  They did do some fun activities to promote a positive culture in the company.  Holiday parties were always pretty exciting, like dressing up in team themes for Halloween, or they would do in house competitions between the teams where winner would be rewarded with a movie on a Friday afternoon or something of the sort.  However, on the flip side it was not a fun atmosphere for me to be in.  People were quick to be let go, you were stuck on a dial-er all day long, and I didn't feel right selling an expensive education to people who quite frankly couldn't afford it or weren't even looking to go to school.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for education- just not the way it was done here.  Needless to say, I had started to look for opportunities elsewhere.  However, it was not going very well.  I was over educated and under experienced.  It was starting to get to me as companies kept declining over and over again.  Mike sought to lift my spirits so he lined up a play date with Danny and Haley.  We went out to 5 Guys and then saw The Help.  Yup, it helped brighten my "crash and burn" session.  Later in the month, John and Julie would also give us a night getaway in their hotel in Park City.  It was nice, we just chilled and watched The Fugitive.   Life wasn't so bad after all.

Over Thanksgiving break, Mike would experience a crash and burn of a more literal sort.  We were heading down to St. George for the weekend and thought it would be an excellent opportunity to use our brand new bikes.  We decided to take the family on a beginning mountain biking trail known as Bear Claw Poppy.  Now keep in mind that my family was not experienced mountain biking and their bikes were very basic, i.e. no shocks, disc brakes, etc.  So we took the whole family on this trail, even though they may have cursed us for some of the drop offs on their non-experienced bikes everybody really enjoyed it.  Mac pulled up to the finish, I came right behind, and then we hear a major crash.  We turn and Mike had eaten it on his bike.  He was not used to brakes working so well and had wanted to attempt one final jump before the end, consequently he hit the brakes too hard and flew over the handlebars.  Mike quickly got up and tried to walk it off.  His arm and hand were cut up pretty bad.  His hand had flesh hanging off and just dangling there.  I tried to console him but I was getting faint.  My stomach couldn't handle it and I thought I was going to pass out.  I told him I was sorry as I tried to hold it together.  My parents showed up and offered to go get the cars, seeing we had to run shuttle.  So for 15 minutes we were hanging out at the bottom of the trail as my parents grabbed the cars.  After about 10 minutes, Mike came over and apologized to me.  He said he thought he would have to go to the hospital and he didn't have insurance.  He had just noticed that he had a golf ball size hole in his hip as well.  It was crazy how little it bled, probably why he didn't notice it for a while.  He took some pictures and sent it out to his siblings.  Julie would make fun of him as that is the trail she had learned how to mountain bike on.  The most experienced in the group was the only one who would sustain battle scars that day.  

My parents finally got back with the cars and my mom had to drive to the hospital because I thought I was going to pass out.  We arrived at the ER and they let us know that he was going to need stitches.   They took him back to the room and I went into the hall because I wasn't feeling so well.  The nurses said I looked really pale and offered me some orange juice.  I then asked Mike if he would like some juice as well.  Here we are at the hospital for him to get stitches and the nurses give me juice first because I am pale- how pathetic am I?!  No worries though, Mike was just fine.  He was told to take it easy for the next few days.  You can imagine how bummed Mike was when we actually had a long weekend in St. George to do lots of outdoor activities and he is told to take it easy.  So he spent the rest of the weekend watching me play tennis with some ladies from Salt Lake City. Luckily, he still got a Thanksgiving feast that weekend at the Casablanca buffet in Mesquite.   


No comments:

Post a Comment