Thursday, February 6, 2014

First Mountain Peak!

On June 16th, we set out to redeem ourselves and yet again tackle the great Mount Olympus.  On our first attempt, we were not ready to tackle it.  I was not well prepared and a short ways into the hike I already had a pretty good blister forming.  My socks were too low, sliding off my feet, and not providing my heel any protection from my shoes.  Mike was prepared, as he always is, but was not physically capable that day.  He had to take several pit stops on the side of the trail, if you know what I mean.  Needless to say, we turned back and ventured we would tackle it some other time.

The time had arrived to redeem ourselves.  We got a later start than expected.  It was already starting to get warm by the time we started climbing, but we were determined to complete it this time.  We kept a pretty steady pace and were already faring far better than last time.  No blisters and no pit stops in site.  We were able to make it to the top of the mountain in about three hours.  It was the first peak I had ever climbed.  Feeling pretty accomplished, we enjoyed some snacks and the view from the top.  We shared the company of several other climbers.  One man was with a club and they just get together and hike different spots.  We spoke with another man about how Utah is so great for the diversity and the joys of mountain biking.  However, one man stuck out in particular.  He was proud to let everyone know that he had climbed this peak multiple times in preparation to his upcoming Spartan run.  He was so good he even ran it with chairs on his back so he could have a place to sit at the top.  Don't worry, he was representing USA well with his lovely stars and stripes bandanna.  Let's just say, he didn't appear to lack any self confidence.

After we had our fill of the top, filled our bellies, and chatted with the mountain clan we booked it down the mountain.  We found it much easier on the joints to jog down the mountain, leading us to make it back to the car in about an hour.  We cut our climbing time in a third.  Thankfully wewere able to get Mike refueled before the effects of dehydration set in too heavily.  For months to come I could proudly look up at the peak and say, "Hey, I climbed that!"  You could say, I was a wee bit proud of myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment