Tuesday, February 14, 2012

We are engaged!



We had been talking about getting married for some time. But I’m not going to lie I wasn’t expecting it to happen when it did. Here is how it went down. Mike and I went ring shopping earlier that day. Just before we went into the store, we called the temple to schedule a date. We decided we were going to get married on the 21st of December. We set the date and called my parents, we called his parents a little later. Now it was time to ring shop. It was fun to look around for rings and to try on many different styles. However, I felt funny telling them I didn’t like some of the rings. I would awkwardly tell them it wasn’t for me or sometimes I would just point to the glass letting them know they could put it back in its place. I ended up finding a couple of rings I really liked at the Diamond Gallery. It was nice because they were big tennis fans, so they were going to let me get the family discount, ohhh yeah.



After we went ring shopping we went to some outdoor stores. Mike is obsessed with outdoor gear and could spend all day looking at it. I was getting a little antsy because we had offers to go to the hockey game, for free, or to play Ultimate Frisbee with some of my friends who had come up from Bountiful. Mike was unwilling to commit to either of them. Instead he decided we should go for a drive through the canyon and look at the leaves. So, we went for a drive. While we were driving, we called Mike’s parents. His mom asked me how I liked the ring; she thought he had already proposed. Fortunately for Mike, I thought she was just talking about ring shopping. She covered it up well, once she realized it hadn’t happened yet. They were pretty excited for us, nonetheless.

On the way up, I was telling him when he proposes he better surprise me. It didn’t have to be too crazy but I wanted it to be fun. Little did I know he was about to propose. We stopped at the peak of the canyon and Mike wanted to go for a little hike. We were trudging through sagebrush and honestly I was wondering what the heck we were doing. I wanted to know where we were going and he wasn’t giving any details. He just kept saying, “It’s an adventure.” I think he was getting a little worried at this point, he asks me if I was hating him yet. I said, “Yes!” It was a bad decision. We turned the corner and there was a table set up with sparkling cider, Café Rio, candles, flowers, and romantic music. I felt terrible for being so grouchy.

I quickly tried to retrace my steps. I was apologizing and telling him how nice it was. Then we sat down and it still hadn’t crossed my mind yet because I knew he didn’t have a ring yet. Boy was I wrong. He pulled out a tennis ball and started to walk towards me. It finally clicked. He kneeled down, and opened up the tennis ball. Inside was a Mickey Mouse ring. He said he loved me and asked me if I would marry him. I said, “Yes!” I was so happy, I couldn’t stop smiling. He took out the ring to put it on and unfortunately, it didn’t even fit over my knuckle.


We picked a little bit at our food for a little while, but were both too excited to eat much. We had to share our news with the world! We also decided we might want to get a ring that actually fit. Before we left, Mike had to go to the bathroom. He was gone for a little while; I figured he was talking to Ryan and Kenzie. They had set up our dinner table. I was hoping they might have a camera. No such luck. We thanked them and went on our way. We ran to Wal-Mart to get a temporary ring. It didn’t have too many good options and the stand was even trashy. So we hopped in our car and tried the other Wal-Mart across town. We picked out one blingin ring! It was a great night. I could not stop smiling all night. When we went back to my apartment my Frisbee friends were there waiting. I got to show off my ring to Janice, Leslie, and Megan. It was really fun. We then called our families and shared the news with them. So many of them offered to help, we truly were blessed.

We were getting married December 21st in the Bountiful Temple and we couldn’t have been any happier! Plus, the night before we shared patriarchal blessings it was really a neat experience. We had some parts that really matched up. It helped confirm that we were heading in the right direction. We were going to have a great life together. He is my calming factor and truly makes me want to be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment