Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Winter Adventures…

In between school and tennis, Mike continued to show me how to enjoy the gloomy winter months. We went night skiing, took Sunday snowshoeing strolls, had a “Man Dinner”, saw Megamind, went on a winter campout, experimented with ice climbing, and even went to a murder mystery dinner (more up my alley). The weekend after Brianhead, ICON fitness, aka a terrible place to work, was throwing a ski night for its employees. Mike and I decided to hit the slopes again. It was fun to go skiing more often. We took Ryan and Kenzie along with us for Ryan’s birthday. Arnie, also an ICON employee, his wife Sarah and several other friends were also able to join us. We had a great time racing down the mountain. I was able to practice my carving so one day maybe I will be able to keep up with Mike.

Mike stepped up the snow activities to hard core status with winter campouts and ice climbing. We made our way back to our engagement spot in Logan Canyon and had my first winter bonfire. Ryan, Kenzie, Amy, and “the boys” (her dogs) also were able to join us. Who knew you could make a fire in the snow!? I didn’t. But it was really fun. We roasted hot dogs and had a grand old time. The others left after the bonfire, while Mike and I decided to camp out in a cave that was made into a cabin (made by Mr. Devin Jones). Mike got a nice fire going, we set up our sleeping bags, and we slept nice and toasty all through the night.

The next day, February 1st, we joined Devin and his friend on an ice climbing adventure. Ice Climbing is just what it sounds like. You climb up ice, or better yet a frozen waterfall. Yes, it can be a little scary and dangerous. But we were prepared and I knew I was surrounded by the right people so it wasn’t too scary. They were all experienced ice climbers all made it up to the top of the waterfall; I got close but didn’t quite make it. I was proud of myself for my first attempt.

Let me tell you of my adventure. I was hacking away at the ice with my ice picks making pretty good time. However, I went too far to the left when the rope was attached at the top right. Mike called up to me to be careful not to swing. I said ok, but I was too late. I tried moving over to the right and swung probably 10 feet right into the wall. Luckily, I didn’t get hurt because coach would not have been happy. After my eventful swing, I decided it was my time to come down. The crazy thing about ice climbing is once you are done all the blood rushes back into your hands and it is extremely painful. In fact, they have a name for it; it’s called the screamy barfys. Yup, that is exactly what you feel like doing.

After I became hard core status, we attended what some may consider a wimpy activity. We went to our first Murder Mystery Dinner! It was really fun even though our group didn’t really seem to know how these things worked. Nevertheless, we had a great time. I thought I was the murder the whole time, even at the end. Turns out I was innocent and so was Mike. But we weren’t too innocent, we did take something. We took the prize for the best costumes of the night. Yup, we were winners!!

No comments:

Post a Comment